My Secret Recipe Club hiatus is over and I am so glad to be back. Not only am I back, but I am back with one amazing dish from Authentic Suburban Gourmet. For those of you not familiar with SRC, it’s a bloggy club where we are assigned another blog, stalk them for a month and make one of their dishes. Then we reveal who we’ve been secretly stalking and one of their recipes we’ve tried. It’s fun in a totally not creepy way.
Anyone who lands on Lisa’s blog would immediately fall in love, stunning photos and recipes abound! One of the things I enjoyed most about Lisa’s blog was her ‘Friday Night Bites’. I could literally live off of small bites, I’d rather have variety than quantity, especially good quality.
Lisa’s original recipe for Avocado, Bacon and Tomato Tartine was more of a play on a BLT, with a garlic aioli, bacon, tomato and avocado. I took my cue from her but did my own little thang.
It began with replacing the roasted garlic mayo with roasted garlic cream cheese spread (cheese if my favorite food…)
I lurve roasted garlic! (the garlic was locally grown)
Spring has sprung and my chives were taking off, I snipped some and added it to the cream cheese mixture.
During my walk about in the garden I couldn’t resist snapping pics of a few flowers, it’s what camera people do…
The bacon and avocado remained the same, however tomatoes are still iffy this time of year so I used up some of my home grown sundried tomatoes.
Then finished the whole bit off with some fresh basil, a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounce package cream cheese), softened
- 1 head garlic, roasted and mashed
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 2 tablespoons chives
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices French bread, about ¼” thick
- 2 tablespoons Lesovos Greek Olive Oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Black Magic seasoning or Alpine seasoning
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 avocado sliced
- 8 sundried tomato halves, softened in hot water, sliced
- Fresh basil, chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl mix together the softened cream cheese, the mashed roasted garlic, milk, chives, salt and pepper until well blended set aside.
- Brush each slice of bread with olive oil on both sides, sprinkle a little seasoning on top, bake until toasted and light golden brown, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Spread cream cheese on bread, top with avocado, bacon, and sundried tomato. Garnish with chiffonade of basil, drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper.