It’s amazing how this time of year tempts even the non-sweet maker into a cookie and candy making machine. Actually it’s quite over-whelming at times which is why I love having a few super quick and easy recipes on hand. One of my go to recipes every year is my 5-minute fudge,. Every year I change it up so it feels like something totally new.
This year I took my cue from one of my sweet loves, salted caramel, which is heaven to me. I made this super easy by using milk duds (chocolate covered caramels), truth is that the family doesn’t really care for Milk Duds, they like chocolate and they like caramel but they do not care for Milk Duds. Because the family doesn’t care for them, I ended up having a bunch of them leftover from Halloween. I took my chances and stirred them into my fudge. An amazing thing happened, the chocolate on the outside melted and blended with the fudge and left these beautiful pockets of caramel. Because of my adoration for salted caramel I topped my little fudge squares with fleur de sel.
That was it, a perfect 5 minute recipe that everyone loved. Although this takes 5 minutes to prepare, it needs to cool for a couple of hours in the fridge. Once it’s set, take it out and cut it into squares and top with the fleur de sel. The fudge is best served at room temperature to ensure that the caramel is nice and gooey.
- 2 (10 ounce bags) chocolate chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup Milk Duds
- Fleur de sel (or other coarse salt)
- Line an 8 x 8 square pan with foil or wax paper. Set aside.
- In a large microwaveable safe bowl add 3 cups morsels, sweetened condensed milk and pinch of salt. Microwave for 1 minute, stir. Microwave another minute and stir until smooth and creamy. If necessary keep microwaving and stirring for 30 seconds more until chips are melted completely.
- Stir in Milk Duds. Using a spatula spread the fudge evenly across the pan.
- Refrigerate for 2 or more hours. Lift out of pan and slice into small pieces. Top each piece with a little fleur de sel.
- Serve the fudge at room temperature.